More Information About Ornamental Grasses
Ornamental grass varieties have become incredibly popular and important landscape decorations to the garden over the last several decades and rightly so. As a garden design element, decorative ornamental grasses offer textural relief from round foundation shrubs, and their interest spans all the seasons. No matter what conditions you have in your garden, there are ornamental grasses that will work for you.
Best Ornamental Grasses for Light Shade
For woodland gardens with filtered sun light throughout the day, you can select great shade tolerant ornamental grasses. In our opinion, the best ornamental grasses for light shade are:
- Ophiopogon (Mondo Grass) - great short ornamental grass plants
- Carex (Sedge) - the toughest of the shade ornamental grasses
- Chasmanthium (Northern Sea Oats) – native variegated varieties of ornamental grasses
Best Ornamental Grasses for Sun to Part Sun
Most ornamental grasses are well suited for part sun to sun. Part sun means a few hours of sun, either in morning or afternoon, each day. Sun means 6 or more hours of direct sun during the day. For us, the best ornamental grasses for sun include:
- Miscanthus (Maiden Grass) – variegated, perennial, salt and deer-resistant ornamental grass
- Muhlenbergia (Muhly grass) – tough and versatile full sun ornamental grass
- Panicum (Switchgrass) – airy, upright perennial ornamental grass
- Pennisetum (Fountain Grass) – easy-to-grow, extremely resilient
- Bambusa (Clumping Bamboo) – tropical genus of bamboo that is a type of ornamental grass
- Liriope (Monkey Grass, Lilyturf) – tough, drought-tolerant, low-maintenance ornamental grass
- Nassella (Feather Grass) – popular native ornamental grass that is deer-resistant and drought-tolerant
- Festuca (Fescue) – popular as a turf grass, ornamental species form clumps of blue foliage and attractive flowers
No matter what your garden decor... cottage, xeriscape, rock garden, container plant (fillers, spillers, thrillers), there is an ornamental grass for you. And you will find the best ornamental grasses for sale right here at Plant Delights Nursery.
Additional Ornamental Grass Resources
Want to learn more about how to use ornamental grasses in your garden or landscape? Check out our many blog posts about ornamental grasses and native grasses over at the Juniper Level Botanic Garden blog.