Nursery / Greenhouse Grower
The grower is in charge of all containerized plant production at Plant Delights Nursery from the time plants arrive on the property until they leave. This is a detail oriented position that requires excellent communication and task prioritization skills, and a thorough understanding of growing and watering of a wide array of containerized plants. The ideal candidate will have excellent problem solving skills and a strong aptitude for greenhouse plant production. The candidate must be familiar with products and techniques used to maintain plant health as well as understand and adhere to label directives on each product. They must also possess a North Carolina Pesticide Applicator License or the ability to obtain one within 30 days of hire date. Successful candidates must have a four year horticulture or related degree or a 2 year horticulture degree with at least 2 years of grower experience. They must have strong problem solving skills, be inquisitive, self-motivated and be able to efficiently supervise staff.
- Prioritize all aspects of growing operation with direction from nursery manager and efficiently supervise nursery assistants.
- Oversee all aspects of greenhouse watering (automatic and hand watering) including supervision of waterers.
- Regularly scout greenhouses (including propagation and specialty areas) and address issues found in a timely manner.
- Manage crop nutrition (including nursery wide fertilization) and monitor with routine pH/salts monitoring program.
- Schedule crop production times and plant cutbacks so as not to interfere with shipping and open house days.
- Correctly use plant growth regulators to improve plant quality and reduce number of cutbacks.
- Coordinate with plant healthcare specialist and assist as needed with pesticide applications.
- Advise stocking supervisor, inventory control specialist and production supervisor regarding crop availability and / or plant problems.
- Communicate with industry and academic experts as needed to solve or prevent problems.
- Alert nursery manager of all issues related to crop availability and plant problems.
- Monitor greenhouse environmental conditions and alert maintenance & facilities specialist and nursery manager of any abnormal conditions.
- Maintain accurate written records and schedules of duties performed.
Send cover letter & resume with a detailed description of work history along with 3 professional references to email@example.com
Grounds and Garden Assistant
Plant Delights Nursery is seeking seasonal garden and grounds assistants to work Monday–Friday. Applicants must be available to work 20-40 hours per week from March-August for Juniper Level Botanic Garden, effective by March 15th, 2017. Qualified candidates must be physically durable, have a tolerance for a wide range of outdoor weather including summer heat, have a good work ethic, a friendly personality, and be able to work well with others. Qualified candidates must be able to pay acute attention to detail while working at a fast pace. Preference will be given to applicants with horticultural or botanic garden experience. We are seeking team players who enjoy working in a friendly and fast paced environment. Send resumes with cover letters of interest with reasons why you are the ideal candidate to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Position Classification: Hourly (Non-Exempt) Seasonal, $8 / hour
- Perform horticultural maintenance in the display and research gardens including weeding, raking, and planting
- Assist with grounds maintenance, including surface water control
- Other duties as assigned
Seasonal Employment Opportunities
Plant Delights Nursery, Inc @ Juniper Level Botanic Garden hires seasonal employees every year beginning as early as March. Seasonal positions are short-term positions that last anywhere from four to nine months. Occasional week-end work is required.
- Do you enjoy plants and the outdoors?
- Do you have a sunny disposition?
- Are you energetic, flexible, and outgoing?
- Not afraid of physical work or getting dirty? Must be able to walk, bend, kneel, occasionally lift heavy items, and be outside for extended periods of time in varying weather, including summer heat.
- Can you work Monday–Friday and the occasional week-end an average of 25–40 hours per week? Must be flexible as hours will vary week to week.
- Plant knowledge is helpful but not required.
- Ability to work outdoors as part of a group as well as independently.
- Ability to pay acute attention to detail
- Great work ethic
Duties may include but are not limited to:
- Order Fulfillment (stocking, pulling, and packing plant orders)
- Care and upkeep of containerized perennial plants
- Retail sales and customer service (during Open Nursery and Garden week-ends)
Position Pay Rate: $8.00 hourly
Please email email@example.com for more information on 2016 Seasonal Employment Opportunities and how to apply.