Grounds and Garden Assistant
Juniper Level Botanic Garden is seeking an hourly (non-exempt) seasonal Grounds and Garden Assistant starting immediately. Qualified person must be physically durable, be able to lift at least 50lbs, have a tolerance for a wide range of outdoor weather, have a good work ethic, friendly personality, and be able to work well with others. Preference will be given to applicants with landscape construction and horticultural experience, as well as operating small/medium farm tractors, mowers, and other power equipment. Qualified person must be safety conscious, able to understand and follow instructions while working at a fast pace and have a passion for horticulture. A valid NC driver’s license is mandatory.
Position Classification: Hourly (Non-Exempt) Seasonal
- Operate the following power equipment
- Backhoe: 2007 Volvo BL60 4x4
- Skid Steer: 2012 Caterpillar 236B3
- Tractor: John Deere 855
- Lawn Tractor: John Deere X300 48"
- Other small machines and tools as necessary
- Assist in landscape and general construction projects
- Assist in irrigation installation and maintenance
- Assist in earthmoving and grading projects
- Assist in installing and maintaining rainwater control systems
- Assist with transplanting
- Control weeds in outlying areas and roads
- Other duties as assigned
- Maintain safe walking and driving surfaces
- Acquire supplies for garden and grounds from off site
- Stage landscape materials
Send resume along with cover letter and 3 professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Seasonal Employment Opportunities
Plant Delights Nursery, Inc @ Juniper Level Botanic Garden hires seasonal employees every year beginning as early as March. Seasonal positions are short-term positions that last anywhere from four to nine months. Occasional week-end work is required.
- Do you enjoy plants and the outdoors?
- Do you have a sunny disposition?
- Are you energetic, flexible, and outgoing?
- Not afraid of physical work or getting dirty? Must be able to walk, bend, kneel, occasionally lift heavy items, and be outside for extended periods of time in varying weather, including summer heat.
- Can you work Monday–Friday and the occasional week-end an average of 25–40 hours per week? Must be flexible as hours will vary week to week.
- Plant knowledge is helpful but not required.
- Ability to work outdoors as part of a group as well as independently.
- Ability to pay acute attention to detail
- Great work ethic
Duties may include but are not limited to:
- Order Fulfillment (stocking, pulling, and packing plant orders)
- Care and upkeep of containerized perennial plants
- Retail sales and customer service (during Open Nursery and Garden week-ends)
Position Pay Rate: $8.00 hourly
Please email email@example.com for more information on 2016 Seasonal Employment Opportunities and how to apply.