Juniper Level Botanic Gardens and Plant Delights Nursery
For nearly 30 years, Juniper Level Botanic Garden has relied on a loyal staff of volunteers who regularly assist the JLBG staff with maintaining and tending the display and research collections.
If you love to feel your hands in rich garden soil, be serenaded by birdsong, and experience the peaceful, grounded energy of plants, please consider devoting several hours a week to joining the JLBG volunteer staff. JLBG volunteers assist the JLBG staff as they plant, tend, mulch, and care for JLBG’s unique, rare, and native plantings.
JLBG is home to more than 22,000 taxa (different plants) collected in partnerships from around the world and is likely the largest and most diverse collection of taxa on display in the US.
Volunteering is a rewarding and intimate opportunity to learn and experience why JLBG is a global destination of serious gardeners and expert plantsmen.
And to sweeten the volunteering offer, JLBG’s garden cats are likely to assist and entertain you while you work!
To join our loyal team of volunteers, email firstname.lastname@example.org. While we always appreciate general help in the garden, there following specific Volunteer Positions are currently available:
Volunteer Taxonomist and Plant Records Assistant
Assist taxonomist in:
- Recording, entering, compiling, and processing data
- Preparing and writing scholarly articles
- Seed collection
- Plant labeling
Juniper Level Botanic Garden invites you immerse yourself in one of the world's greatest living plant collections and to take the opportunity to help process and publish 30 years of groundbreaking botanical research. Some of our current publication foci are: Amaryllids, including rain lilies and Lycoris; Agave and Manfreda, including xMangave; and Trillium, including several undescribed species. The ideal candidate(s) enjoys both studying botanical research publications and working hands-on with living collections, has an understanding of Microsoft based programs, and is proficient in technical writing. This exciting and impactful year-round volunteer position is open immediately to qualified applicants who are available several hours each month.
Volunteer Plant Collection Curators
Assist Taxonomist in:
- Maintaining collection integrity
- Collect seed
- Replace lost or broken labels
- Collecting and entering data
- Networking with appropriate groups/societies ,and other public and private collection holders
- Publishing research and observations related to plant collection
- Suggesting improvements in growing conditions, and report stressed/declining accessions
Passionate about a specific plant genus or group? Team up with Juniper Level Botanic Garden to make your plant obsession mutually beneficial. The ideal candidates will have advanced knowledge and passion for specific groups of plants. Immerse yourself in one of dozens of JLBG’s world class collections…here are just a few:
- Desert succulents (Agave, Manfreda, Cactus, etc)
- Carnivorous and bog garden plants (Sarracenia, Dionaea, Sabatia, Orontium, Pogonia, etc)
- Native plants (SE US, China, South America, etc)
- Amaryllids (Lycoris, Zephyranthes, Crinum, Hippeastrum, etc)
- Aroids (Amorphophallus, Arum, Arisaema, etc)
- (Your favorite plant here!!!)
Contact Jeremy Schmidt for more information