The color blue is rare in nature and because of that, blue flowering plants are very popular in gardens. The amount of blue-ness varies from a saturated royal blue, to sky blue, to a more purple tinted lavender blue.
More Information About Blue Flowering Plants
Feeling blue? Let blue flowering plants cheer you up. The color blue is rare in nature and because of that, blue flowering plants are very popular in gardens. The amount of blue-ness varies from genus to genus from a saturated royal blue, to sky blue, to a more purple tinted lavender blue. No matter which blue you want, we probably have it. When you are ready to buy blue flowering plants for your garden, check out our online list of blue flowering plants for sale.
The Best Perennials with Blue Flowers
Here are a few of our favorite genera that are known to have blue flowering perennial plants.
- Gentiana (Gentian) - The undisputed king of the blue flowers. Deeply saturated and wonderful to look at.
- Agapanthus (Lily-of-the-Nile) - Blue and white summer flowering perennials.
- Brunnera (Bugloss) - Great blue flowering perennials for part shade and shade. Deer resistant, beautifully patterned foliage.
- Pulmonaria (Lungwort) - Late winter, early spring flowering.
- Agastache (Anise Hyssop) - Agastache hybrids bloom all summer and have blue, orange, and pink varieties.
- Myosotis (Forget-Me-Not) - Cool weather, brunnera relatives with light blue, pink, and white varieties.
- Aster (Japanese Aster) - Drought-tolerant late blooming, full sun, blue perennials.
- Campanula (Bellflower) - Late spring, summer flowering, partial sun perennials.
- Stokesia (Stokes' Aster) - Great butterfly attractant, usually blue, white, or lilac in the wild.
- Lavandula (Lavender) - Famous for the color and the essential oil.
- Veronica (Speedwell) - Wide ranging, great for attracting hummingbirds.
- Ajuga (Bugleweed) - Evergreen groundcover with variegated foliage and blue flowers.
- Iris - Beautiful flowers with many blue varieties.
- Buddleia (Butterfly Bush) - Many blue varieties of the popular butterfly bush.
- Hepatica - Part of the buttercup family, blooms in purple, blue, pink or white.
- Dentaria - Woodland garden plant that blooms in early to mid-spring with purple, pink, blue, or white flowers.
- Amsonia (Blue Star) - Perennial wildflowers, great for attracting pollinators.
- Baptisia (False Indigo) - US Native with many blue flowering varieties to choose from.
- Caryopteris (Bluebeard) - Long lasting blue-lavender flowers and deer-resistant foliage.
- Ceratostigma - Small genus of perennial wildflowers.
- Cynara (Cardoon) - Tennis ball sized electric blue flowers.
- Hydrangea - Produce flowers that turn blue in acidic soil.
- Ipheion (Starflower) - South American perennial wildflowers that produce blue or white spring-blooming flowers.
This list of blue flowering plants is just the beginning. Check out our entire catalog of blue flowering plants.
Additional Blue Flowering Plants
Still need ideas for finding the right blue flowering perennial? Read our many blog posts featuring blue flowering plants over at the Juniper Level Botanic Garden blog.