More Information About Summer Flowering Plants
Take your summer vacation in the garden and cultivate summer flowers.
Summer time marks the best time of the year to garden. Plants are actively growing, the threat of cold weather is gone, and long days mean that working people can enjoy a few hours of daylight in the garden after escaping the drudgery of the office. If you are going to spend a lot of time out in your garden at this time of year, it makes sense to have plenty of perennials that bloom all summer to enjoy.
To help you find the best summer flowering plants for your garden, we have created this mini-catalog of flowers that bloom all summer just for you. Some of our favorite plants for the dog days are below:
List of the Best Summer Flowers for the Garden
- Agapanthus - Blue flowers and a tropical look
- Agastache - Colorful flowers all summer long, attracts hummingbirds, and fragrant foliage!
- Buddleia - Flowers that bloom all summer and a butterfly bonanza!
- Canna - Very tropical with large colorful flowers that bloom all summer
- Crinum - Big bold plants that are incredibly easy to grow
- Dahlia - Wonderful cut flowers and colorful foliage too
- Echinacea - Native plant extraordinaire!
- Gaillardia - Bright colors and drought tolerance.
- Gladiolus - Tall spikes of flowers
- Hypericum - Groundcover with bright yellow flowers in summer
- Lantana - Bright red, orange, and yellow colors that attract hummingbirds all summer long
- Phlox - Tall flower spikes in summer
- Solidago - Late summer food for butterflies
- Verbena - Groundcover mat of foliage topped with colorful flowers all summer
One special favorite is Hypericum - aka St. John's wort - the name literally defines summer as it is named after the feast of St. John which traditionally marks the longest day of the year and is close to the time that this summer flower first appears.
So make the best of your daylight savings time and spend it in the garden tending your summer flowering plants.
Check out our blog posts about summer flowers