For many, autumn is the best time of year to garden. The heat of summer has finally broken and the crisp autumn air is a delight to work in. A great time to have fall blooming flowers.
More Information About Fall Flowering Plants
Now that the dog days are done, get back outside and plant some of the best fall flowering perennials like muhlenbergia and helianthus.
For many, autumn is the best time of year to garden. The heat of summer has finally broken and the crisp autumn air is a delight to work in. Plants are no longer growing fast so watering, pruning and weeding duties have ebbed. And the early evening sun lights up fall flowering plants with a golden glow. If you enjoy autumn in the garden, then you should plant plenty of fall flowering plants to keep you company. In the south, where the ground never freezes, fall is the best time to plant, because the plant roots have months to knit into the soil before the start of the next warm season.
Fall Perennials take over for the summer flowers and keep the garden showy as the days get shorter. When choosing fall perennials, you can select fall blooming flowers, but do not forget foliage plants either. We have a large selection of the best fall perennials to choose from.
List of Fall Blooming Perennials
While not a complete list, here are a few of our favorite genera of fall blooming perennials.
- Aster - Probably the best fall flowering plant in terms of sheer flower power.
- Begonia - Large genus with many varieties that bloom in fall.
- Coreopsis - Virtually unknown in gardening circles, new hybrids have amazing flower color.
- Crinum Lily - Classic southern pass-along perennials that are low-maintenance and easy to grow.
- Dahlia - Blooms in spring, takes a break during the heat of summer, then resumes blooming in fall as temperatures cool.
- Farfugium (Leopard Plant) - Asian genus that is a favorite for shade gardens and produces yellow daisy flowers atop spotted or variegated foliage.
- Hedychium (Ginger Lily) - Fantastic summer and early fall bloomers with tall spikes of colorful flowers atop bold foliage.
- Helianthus - Low maintenance fall blooming perennials that are perfect for rain gardens.
- Hibiscus - Sun-loving perennials that bloom in late summer, early fall.
- Oxalis - Deciduous fall bloomers that make great accent plants for rock gardens.
- Solidago (Goldenrod) - Drought-tolerant and easy-to-grow perennial wildflower.
- Tricyrtis (Toad Lily) - Late summer- and fall-flowering shade plant with orchid like blooms.
When harvest season approaches, do the opposite and plant fall flowering plants! When you are ready to buy fall garden plants for your garden, check out our online list of the best fall flowering plants for sale.