If you'd like to attract hummingbirds to your perennial garden, we hope this list of hummingbird flowers will prove useful. As a rule, the best flowers for hummingbirds are brightly colored, on the red end of the spectrum, and with tube-shaped flowers but they also go nuts for blue flowers.
More Information About Hummingbird Plants
What flowers attract hummingbirds?
If you'd like know how to attract hummingbirds to your garden, we hope this list of hummingbird flowers will prove useful. As a general rule, the best flowers for hummingbirds are brightly colored, on the red end of the spectrum, and with tube-shaped flowers. However, those are just general guidelines. When creating a hummingbird garden, gardeners should not exclude certain colors or flower shapes on that basis alone or you may miss out on some great hummingbird flowers. For example, Salvia guaranitica and Agapanthus, blue flowered perennials are both tremendous hummingbird attracting plants that out-perform many of the best red flowers.
We surveyed the hummingbirds in our garden and found out that:
The best flowers for hummingbirds:
- Agapanthus (Hummingbird Mint) - This mint relative has blue tropical flowers that hummingbirds like.
- Anisacanthus (Wright's Texas Firecracker) - The red flowers on this Texas native are sure to attract hummingbirds.
- Bouvardia (Hummingbird Flower ) - The common name is Hummingbird flower, which should tell you something.
- Buddleia (Butterfly Bush) - Fabulous flowers that attract hummingbirds and butterflies.
- Canna (Canna Lily) - Tall, tropical looking, summer perennials that are great for hummingbird gardens.
- Dicliptera (Hummingbird Plant) - Orange flowers and silvery leaves make these great hummingbird attracting plants, hence the common name.
- Echinacea (Coneflower) - Native coneflowers are one of the great plants to attract hummingbirds to your perennial garden.
- Hedychium (Ginger Lily) - Another tropical plant with fragrant, orchid-like flowers that hummingbirds like.
- Kniphofia (Red Hot Poker) - Spikes of bright yellow and orange flowers make red hot pokers fantastic hummingbird plants.
- Lantana (Hardy Lantana) - Great late-summer blooming flowers hummingbirds like.
- Monarda (Bee Balm) - Bees love it but so do the hummers.
- Phlox (Creeping Phlox) - Creeping phlox varieties are early season hummingbird plants.
- Salvia (Sage) - A wide variety of colors and drought-tolerance make these idea perennial plants for hummingbirds
- Spigelia (Indian Pink) - Bright red native hummingbird plants that look great planted en masse.
- Yucca (Soapwort) - A succulent perennial that produces large clusters of white summer flowers hummingbirds like.
With enough of these in your garden, you're sure to create a great hummingbird garden.
Hummingbirds are most active during the summer months, so the flowers hummingbirds like best are usually summer-flowering perennials, but you should also include fall, winter, and spring flowering plants in your gardens too so that the non-migrating hummers have a year-round food supply. If you're looking for what plants attract hummingbirds, we hope you'll check out our shopping list of plants to attract hummingbirds to the garden.