More Information About Hummingbird Plants
What flowers attract hummingbirds?
If you'd like know how to attract hummingbirds to your garden, we hope this list of hummingbird flowers will prove useful. As a general rule, the best flowers for hummingbirds are brightly colored, on the red end of the spectrum, and with tube-shaped flowers. However, those are just general guidelines. When creating a hummingbird garden, gardeners should not exclude certain colors or flower shapes on that basis alone or you may miss out on some great hummingbird flowers. For example, Salvia guaranitica and Agapanthus, blue flowered perennials are both tremendous hummingbird attracting plants that out-perform many of the best red flowers.
We surveyed the hummingbirds in our garden and found out that:
The best flowers that attract hummingbirds include:
- Agapanthus - Blue tropical flowers that hummingbirds like
- Anisacanthus - Red flowers to attract hummingbirds
- Bouvardia - the common name is Hummingbird flower, which should tell you something
- Buddleia - The butterfly king, but also plants hummingbirds like
- Canna - Tall, tropical looking, summer perennials that are great for hummingbird gardens
- Dicliptera - orange flowers and silvery leaves on these hummingbird attracting plants
- Echinacea - Native coneflowers are one of the great plants to attract hummingbirds
- Hedychium - Another tropical plant with fragrant, orchid-like flowers that hummingbirds like
- Kniphofia - Bright yellows and oranges to attract hummingbirds
- Lantana - Great flowers for hummingbirds from summer into fall
- Monarda - Bees love it too...a great plant for the birds and the bees.
- Phlox - Creeping varieties are early season hummingbird plants
- Salvia - A wide variety of colors on these drought tolerant plants for hummingbirds
- Spigelia - A bright red native hummingbird garden plant
- Yucca - A succulent perennial with a large cluster of white summer flowers that hummingbirds like
With enough of these in your garden, you're sure to create a great hummingbird garden.
Hummingbirds are most active during the summer months, so the flowers hummingbirds like best are usually summer-flowering perennials, but you should also include fall, winter, and spring flowering plants in your gardens too so that the non-migrating hummers have a year-round food supply. If you're looking for what plants attract hummingbirds, we hope you'll check out our shopping list of plants to attract hummingbirds to the garden.