Photo by taken at Chicago Botanic Gdn, IL
Salvia x sylvestris 'Caradonna'
This plant is not currently for sale. This is an archive page preserved for informational use.Shop Available Salvia
Item #: 5493
Zones: 4a to 8a
Height: 24" tall
(aka: Salvia nemorosa 'Caradonna') Of the Salvia x sylvestris cultivars we have seen and trialed, Salvia 'Caradonna' is one of the finest and most distinctive. From Zillmer Nursery in Germany, Salvia 'Caradonna' was discovered as a seedling of Salvia 'Wesuve' and in 2000 was awarded the Outstanding New Perennial award by the International Hardy Plant Union. The 12" tall x 18" wide clump is composed of dark purple stems clothed with felty green leaves. In midsummer the clumps are topped with dramatic, upright, 2' tall spikes of vivid blue-violet (RHS 89A)...a simply stunning hummingbird favorite!
- How to Build a Pitcher Plant Bog
- Dear Deer - We're Closed for Dinner
- Cutting Through the Jungle - Native Plants Myths and Realities
- Perennial Salvia Plants - Ornamental Sages for the Garden
- Name that Plant - The Misuse of Trademarks in Horticulture
- When Should I Plant My Plants?
- The Top 6 Coolest Blue Salvia for the Garden
- The Top 25 Butterfly Plants
Leaf Color: Green
Bloom Time: Summer
Container Role: Fillers
Other: Fragrant Foliage Plants , Butterfly Attracting Plants , Edimentals , Cut Flower Plants , Deer Resistant Plants , Drought Tolerant Plants , Groundcovers , Hummingbird Plants , Pollinator Plants , Plants that Attract Birds , Rabbit Resistant Plants