T. Avent 12
Item #: 9409
Zones: 3a to 7b
Height: 21" tall
Culture: Part Sun to Light Shade
Pot Size: 2 qt. (1.9 L) ?
In 2009, we introduced Hosta 'Andrew', which rapidly sold out. Although we ordered more from the lab, the plants we received were not Hosta 'Andrew', but instead a much more vigorous mutation. While others may still offer Hosta 'Andrew', we do not believe any of them to be correct. In 2013, Plant Delights/JLBG released this much improved sport, Hosta 'Hans', after Hans Hansen, who discovered the original sport and named it after his brother. Both plants trace back to an original sport from Hosta 'Blue Mammoth'. Hosta 'Hans' makes a 21" tall x 32" wide clump of thick, rugose, blue-green leaves, highlighted by a stunning cream center and a narrow green pattern between the blue and cream layers. The center of the leaves of Hosta 'Hans' becomes flushed with green streaks in later summer, giving it vigor that its sibling doesn't have. The clumps are topped with 20" scapes of pale lavender flowers in late spring. This is a slow grower, deserving of a special featured place in your woodland garden.
Articles About Hosta 'Hans'
- The Top 80 Hummingbird Attracting Plants for Your Garden
- Gardening in the Shade
- Hosta Breeders and Other Strangers
- Hosta Hosta Hosta
- Hostas for Warm Climates
- Hostas - The Fragrant Kind
- Leaves that Light Up the Garden - Variegated Plants
- Hosta Introductions and Breeding by Paul Aden
- Hosta Breeding Program at Plant Delights Nursery
- Soils and Garden Soil Preparation
- Hosta Myths - Tony's Top Ten
- How to Build a Butterfly Garden
- The Myth of Hosta Originator's Stock