Photo by JLBG taken at Juniper Level Botanic Gdn, NC
Salvia azurea 'Nekan'
Nekan Pitcher Sage
This plant is not currently for sale. This is an archive page preserved for informational use.Shop Available Salvia
Item #: 3361
Zones: 4a to 8b
Height: 36" tall
Origin: United States
(syn: Salvia pitcheri) Salvia azurea 'Nekan' is a tough garden-worthy US native with upright stems clothed with linear grey-green foliage. From July through September, the stems are topped with lovely, pure blue flowers. Salvia azurea is at home in dreadfully hot, dry sites as well as nestled in the midst of the perennial border. Salvia 'Nekan' (Nebraska-Kansas) is a seed strain named for a selected population found north of Lincoln, Nebraska. For us, this has proven to be a great improvement on the species with its more sturdy upright constitution and larger flowers. As the late Nebraskan nurseryman, Harlan Hamernik said, "If it'll grow in Nebraska, it'll grow anywhere."
- How to Build a Pitcher Plant Bog
- Dear Deer - We're Closed for Dinner
- The Top Hummingbird Attracting Plants for Your Garden
- Cutting Through the Jungle - Native Plants Myths and Realities
- Perennial Salvia Plants - Ornamental Sages for the Garden
- Name that Plant - The Misuse of Trademarks in Horticulture
- When Should I Plant My Plants?
- The Top 6 Coolest Blue Salvia for the Garden
- The Top 25 Butterfly Plants
- How to Build a Butterfly Garden
Flower Color: Blue
Leaf Color: Green
Container Role: Thrillers
Garden Themes: Cottage Garden Plants
Other: Fragrant Foliage Plants , Butterfly Attracting Plants , Cut Flower Plants , Deer Resistant Plants , Drought Tolerant Plants , Florida Native Plants , Georgia native plants , Pollinator Plants , North American Native Plants , Plants that Attract Birds , Rabbit Resistant Plants , Texas native plants , Xeriscaping Plants , United States Native Plants