Canna x generalis 'Bengal Tiger'
Bengal Tiger Variegated Canna Lily
Item #: 819
Zones: 7b to 10b
Height: 72" tall
Pot Size: 3 qt. (2.8 L) ?
(aka: Canna x generalis 'Aureostriata' or Canna 'Pretoria') Imported from India in 1963 by the Glasshouse Works guys, Canna 'Bengal Tiger' is a sport of Canna 'Wyoming' that originated from radiation experiments in the 1950s at India's Agri Horticultural Society. Canna 'Bengal Tiger' was later taken to Africa by Sydney Percy-Lancaster, where it was later "rediscovered" and given the invalid additional name Canna 'Pretoria'. Canna 'Bengal Tiger' is considered by many to be the most beautiful of canna lilies. The dramatic stalks of green- and yellow-striped variegated leaves with a brilliant maroon edge grow to 6' and are topped in summer with bright orange flowers that are favored by hummingbirds...scrumptious! Canna 'Bengal Tiger' will also grow in water as an aquatic plant. Canna 'Bengal Tiger' was awarded the prestigious Royal Horticultural Society Award of Garden Merit in 2002.
Articles About Canna x generalis 'Bengal Tiger'
- How to Build a Pitcher Plant Bog
- Canna, Canna, Canna - Growing Canna Lilies in Your Garden
- The Top 80 Hummingbird Attracting Plants for Your Garden
- How do I overwinter my hardy tropical plants?
- Leaves that Light Up the Garden - Variegated Plants
- Cutting Through The Jungle - Native Plants Myths and Realities
- How to Build a Butterfly Garden
- Add Some Color to Your Garden with Purple Leaf Plants